Police Officer Sacked After Assault Conviction

Disciplinary hearing decided to sack James Morgans immediately

A police officer has been sacked for biting the nose of a rival pool player in a 15-second "moment of madness".

Victim Scott McDonald, 22, boasted he could beat anyone in the pub - and Pc James Morgans, 47, called him a "cocky little git" before biting him.

A disciplinary hearing decided to sack Morgans immediately after he was convicted causing actual bodily harm.

A spokesman for the Dyfed-Powys force said: "The officer's behaviour had fallen well below the standards expected, and that the need for public confidence to be maintained in Dyfed-Powys Police is paramount."

Pc Morgans, 47, was ordered to pay £500 compensation to the young pool player injured in the boozy late-night attack.

The court heard Morgans had drunk "a vast amount of alcohol" while out drinking with old friends.

Mr McDonald was celebrating winning the semi-final of a pool tournament at a 1.30am in the Old Coach House in Fishguard, Pembrokeshire.

Morgans became annoyed at Mr McDonald's boasting about how he would win the entire competition - and then he went on to be champion.

Swansea Crown Court heard that in a "moment of madness" Morgans grabbed hold of him and bit his nose.

The court heard he sunk his teeth into his nose left him bleeding from 2cm wounds to each side of his nose.

Both men played competitive pool for rival teams - and Morgans was wound up by the younger man's "boasting and banter"

Nik Stroble, prosecuting, said the victim began engaging in "banter" about pool.

He said: "Morgans eventually grabbed the man, pulled him towards him, and then bit him on the nose, only letting go when he was pulled off by people in the bar."

"You described Mr McDonald as a cocky little git," said Judge Geraint Walters.

"You were irritated by his banter and in the heat of the moment you let your guard down."

Judge Walters said he was sure that Morgans had drunk more that night than he could remember.

CCTV evidence from the pub showed the bite lasted around 15 seconds before Morgans was then pulled away by one of the victim's friends.

Morgans was then seen in the pub's toilets with his head in his hands.

Mr McDonald received medical treatment for the 2cm cut on each side of his nose at hospital.

In an impact statement read to court Mr McDonald said it left him "wary of going out at night and distrustful of the police".

Married father-of-one fMorgan claimed to have acted in self-defence - but the judge told him his conviction was a "a significant fall from grace".

Judge Geraint Walters described Morgans as a dedicated police officer who had contributed much to the community of Fishguard before his "moment of madness" in the pub.

But he said on the night in question, after consuming a large quantity of alcohol, the defendant had "lost normal self-control and discipline" and "risen to the banter" of the man at the bar.

Morgans, of Goodwick, Pembs, was convicted by a jury after a five-day trial of assaulting Mr McDonald causing him actual bodily harm in
April last year.

Morgans was jailed for eight months, suspended for two years, and must complete 180 hours of unpaid work and pay Mr McDonald £500 in compensation.

More from Local News


Add a comment

Log in to the club or enter your details below.